I’ve had better days!
To be honest, I’ve probably had worse days too, but if I could sum up Day 1 of quitting smoking in one word it’d be: “emotional”.
It feels like a particularly malignant bout of PMS.
So far, I’m about 22 hours into a cold turkey quit. Here’s what’s helped and what hasn’t.
- Starting the day off with a power yoga session
- Watching clips on YouTube of others who have been through it
- Talking to family about it
- Positive self-talk
- Work distractions
Not So Helpful:
- Work stress!
- Getting upset and feeling guilty for smoking for so long
- Being near family that smoke
- Being in places I would normally smoke
I’ve tried quitting for years, usually with nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). I’ve tried the tablets which in fairness did work until I stupidly went on holiday and lit a cig up.
So here I find myself back in this no man’s land; my purgatory which I fully intend to conquer this time around.
I know from past experience that days 2, 3 and 4 can see my emotional state turn from feeling sad to angry and back again pretty quickly so I’m going to really watch and plan for this by doing more of the things that worked today, as well as getting a good night’s sleep and drinking plenty of water.
Good luck to anyone else on their QS journey. One day at a time…