Make the Most of the New Moon Vibes
Every month, the moon transits through its different phases. One of its most powerful phases is that of the New Moon. So what is a New Moon and what sort of things are recommended to do to really make the most of the energy around us.
What is a New Moon
Simply put, it’s when you look up into the clear night sky and there’s no moon visible. As the nights pass, more and more of the moon becomes visible as the moon begins to “grow” again, until it becomes a Full Moon after which it slowly cycles through to a New Moon again. And repeat.
Why Does it Matter to You?
For millennia the moon and its phases, as well as the sun and whatever it was up to, hugely impacted the lives of the folk on this planet, not only for religious and spiritual reasons but also because until the Romans adopted the solar based Gregorian calendar and spread it throughout their empire, the main calendar in use was in fact, lunar.
In modern times many don’t believe that the moon and her phases can affect life on Earth, and to each their own but, increasingly, more and more of us are starting to notice how the different phases of the moon do seem to have an impact on our own moods and behaviour at different times in her cycle.
By respecting and honouring the different energies during the different phases, some believe that their lives noticeably improve. So, what to expect and do with the New Moon energy?
How to Work with New Moon Energy
- Cleanse – whether its your crystals or divination tools like tarot cards or runes that you’ve used since the last cycle, now is the perfect time to cleanse. Many choose to burn sage but certain essential oils work well too. Other options are to use singing bowls or other sounds like chanting or singing. And don’t forget to cleanse yourself and your environment whilst you’re at it – sage and incense is great for this but also just getting out into nature or taking a bath with Epsom salts is fantastic to clear your auric field. Additionally, give the house a good once over, organising that cupboard or drawers you’ve been meaning to get round to for ages. You’ll know it’s worked when you feel lighter and brighter.
- Charge – your crystals that is by leaving them out overnight, or for a few hours at least, to soak up that New Moon energy.
- Intention Setting – if you don’t journal daily or weekly then try to make the effort to do it at least every New Moon. Brainstorm all your inspirations, ambitions and new ideas out on a piece of paper. This is a powerful method of setting new intentions for yourself and, without knowing it, you’ll be downloading and channelling ideas and divine insight from the Universe! A good alternative to this if writing’s not your thing is to make a vision board. It doesn’t have to be nothing fancy, just a blank card that you fill up with images, phrases and words that inspire you. Put it somewhere that you’ll see every day on waking and you might be surprised on where you find yourself by the next New Moon cycle!
- Create – new ways to get healthier by picking areas to work on that excite you. Often this can be a new exercise regime or hobby or find innovative ways to build on what you started in the last cycle.
- Rest and Recharge – yourself! A perfect way to do this is by meditating and reflecting on all that has happened since the last New Moon. If meditating is not for you then prayer is often a more familiar alternative. It’s a time to take the pace down a notch or two and make space for a new phase in your own life. It’s probably a good idea to do this before you start intention setting.
Obviously, you can do anything you like but these are just a few common ways that those who do like to work with the energies of the moon frequently choose to do so. As you progress and this becomes a natural monthly feature in your life you might even choose spellwork or invocations.
The idea is simply to pick a ritual that doesn’t feel forced. I know that when I first came across New Moon Rituals none of them really felt like me. And that’s because these are just ideas. You have to find little bits here and there and adapt until you find a ritual that feels right for you. For example, I like to do a tarot reading and write this down in my journal to review at the next New Moon to help me reflect on where I was and where I am now as well as where I’m headed. Lighting candles and burning sage and incense, whilst cleansing and clearing space, are all just ways to help get me in the right headspace.
And remember that the New Moon energies tend to be with us for a day or two before the actual New Moon and a day or two after. So currently the New Moon in Gemini for May 2020 was last night, 22 May – I’ll be doing my ritual work this evening. I’ll then look to do another ritual at the Full Moon in June, which is another very powerful moon phase in which to start enacting your own rituals, but in a different way. More on that another time!
For now, why not pick one or two of your favourites from the above ideas and give them a go on the next New Moon to start seeing how you can benefit from the energies all around us?